The Photographer’s Ethical Toolkit This course is designed to introduce you to some key principles in photography ethics. It is […]
The Photographer’s Ethical Toolkit
This course is designed to introduce you to some key principles in photography ethics. It is a primer course that is applicable to photojournalists as well as anyone who regularly takes or shares photographs.
Hello and welcome to this foundational online training course in photography ethics!
This course is divided into six sections:
- Section 1 provides an overview of the course and introduces the course trainer and media experts.
- Section 2 discusses photography ethics and introduces three key ethical principles in photography: Empathy, Autonomy, and Integrity.
- Section 3 explores how empathy can be applied in photography.
- Section 4 explores the principle of autonomy in photography, and discusses how you can handle consent in different situations.
- Section 5 explores the importance of acting with integrity toward the audience.
- Section 6 summarizes the key points covered in the course and lists some takeaway questions to consider in your photography practice.
Each section will have at least one online or offline activity for you to apply the concepts that we discuss in the course. In these activities, you will be graded on your engagement with the activities rather than the “correctness” of your answers. Please respond to questions honestly in order to gain the most out of the exercises!
Additionally, you will be part of an online forum where you able to access additional updated material and discuss ethical scenarios with your colleagues.
The total course duration is 5 hours, and you can complete it across multiple sessions.
This course carries 4 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits and won the Education Award at the ISNTD Festival in 2019.
- Photography Ethics
- Summing Up
- End of course survey